【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. sauna / ˈsɔ nə, ˈsaʊ- / (n.) – a small room where people sit to sweat
Example: People usually go to saunas after work to relax.
2. accommodate / əˈkɒm əˌdeɪt / (v.) – to provide enough space for a person or group of people
Example: The new meeting room can accommodate 25 people.
3. book / bʊk / (v.) – to reserve a place before using it
Example: We booked a hotel room for our business trip.
4. cabin / ˈkæb ɪn / (n.) – a space surrounded by walls
Example: The cable car has cabins that can fit up to eight people.
5. attraction / əˈtræk ʃən / (n.) – an interesting place or thing that is enjoyable to see or try
Example: Tourists enjoy the new attractions of the amusement park.
Read the text below.
One of the world’s largest hamburger chains, Burger King, has launched the first in-store spa with a sauna.
Due to the Finnish people’s love for saunas, Burger King opened its first in-store spa that features a sauna in one of its restaurants in Helsinki. The sauna can accommodate 15 guests at a time. It also includes a shower room, a locker room, and a media lounge that has a flat-screen TV and gaming facilities.
Inspired by the burger chain’s signature colors, the Burger King sauna has blue and red benches. Guests are also provided with robes and towels with the Burger King logo on them. While inside the sauna, customers can order food from the fast food restaurant. The sauna is available for rent for €250 for every three hours, and customers have to book the sauna in advance.
Saunas are very popular in Finland and most Finnish people see it as the perfect place for relaxation. It is not unusual to see different groups, such as family members or work colleagues, hanging out at a sauna.
Finland may be the home of the first Burger King in-store sauna, but the country will soon welcome a new unusual sauna in the form of SkySauna, the first sauna cabin in a Ferris wheel.
Two years ago, Finland opened Skywheel Helsinki to compete with the London Eye, the largest observation wheel in the world. However, according to the attraction’s general manager, visitors who came and tried Skywheel Helsinki started asking for sauna cabins. Because of this, the operators of the attraction decided to add sauna cabins, which are now under construction in France. Each cabin can carry up to five people at a time and is designed to reach temperatures of up to 94°F.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think will encourage people to go to the Burger King in-store spa?
· Do you think that the price of the Burger King spa is reasonable? Why or why not?
· Would you promote in-store spas in restaurants? Why or why not?
· If you were to innovate or design a restaurant, what facility would you put? Why?