【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. fad / fæd / (n.) – a widely-shared enthusiasm for something
Example: I’m always interested in the latest fashion fads.
2. objection / əbˈdʒɛk ʃən / (n.) – an expression of disapproval
Example: An objection is raised every time the issue comes up.
3. exclusion / ɪkˈsklu ʒən / [ik-SKLOO-zhuh n] (n.) – the state of being removed from a group
Example: The group voted for the exclusion of the gun emoji because it promotes violence.
4. icon / ˈaɪ kɒn / ( n.) – a small image
Example: You have to click the square icon to minimize the window.
5. integrate / ˈɪn tɪˌgreɪt / (v.) – to add or incorporate into something
Example: She integrates rock and blues in her music.
Read the text below.
The latest batch of emojis released no longer includes the hunting rifle emoji.
Emojis are icons used in mobile and online messaging. They have become the new texting fad as they add a visual representation of actions, ideas, and emotions.
Leading technology companies Apple and Microsoft made objections to the idea of involving a rifle in the official list of emojis. This concern was announced during their meeting with the Unicode Consortium, an organization that creates emojis. Despite being approved originally, the group unanimously voted for the exclusion of the rifle.
The tech giants are not the only ones that have raised this issue. A gun-control group also protested after Unicode released their proposed list last year, claiming that this might make the weapon more popular and familiarize people with it, which is against their campaign that pushes for stricter gun accessibility.
Some new emojis that made it to the list include Olympic medals and sports in support of the upcoming Rio Olympics.
Users had different reactions upon receiving the emoji update. Food and animal-related icons appeared to be crowd favorites, while others clamored for more options.
Emojis are not the only trend in messaging. Other trends include GIFs, or graphics interchange format, which are animated images or short clips. They usually come from TV shows and movies. Another trend in online messaging are Internet memes, which are images that have phrases designed to be funny. Some mobile applications even let users create their own memes and integrate their own humor.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· If you were part of Apple’s or Microsoft’s emoji team, would you vote for removing the rifle emoji? Why or why not?
· What do you think people use the rifle emoji for?
· Aside from those mentioned, what are the other trends in text messaging and online chatting?
· How else can texting or chatting become more fun and interactive?