【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. sensation / sɛnˈseɪ ʃən / (n.) – a lot of interest or excitement
Example: A homeless man created a sensation online after winning the lottery.
2. tip / tɪp / (n.) – an amount of money given as gratitude for someone’s service
Example: Restaurant customers in the United States usually give tips for good service.
3. compliment / ˈkɒm plə mənt / (n.) – a comment that gives praise to someone or something
Example: The waiter is known for giving compliments to every customer.
4. compassionate / kəmˈpæʃ ə nɪt / (adj.) – showing concern for others
Example: A study shows that it is natural for people to be compassionate toward others.
5. spotlight / ˈspɒtˌlaɪt / (n.) – public attention
Example: A couple got the spotlight for celebrating their wedding by feeding refugees.
Read the text below.
Dallas waiter Kasey Simmons has caused a sensation after getting a five hundred-dollar tip for an act of kindness.
Simmons was surprised to receive the huge amount just for serving flavored water, the cheapest item on the restaurant’s menu. The female customer who gave the tip left a note saying that the money is for Simmons’s act of kindness toward her mother.
A day before he received the tip, the 32-year-old waiter saw the customer’s mother crying at a local grocery store. He approached her, told her she was beautiful, and paid for her grocery bill. In an interview, Simmons said that he likes to see people smile, so it is natural for him to give compliments to other people.
Simmons’s story was reported in some local news channels in the United States. Later, the inspiring story also reached other countries, including the United Kingdom and New Zealand. Several news agencies praised Simmons for being a compassionate person.
Stories about kindness like Simmons’s experience commonly gain popularity. According to a writer who personally interviewed the waiter, these stories get the spotlight because they make readers feel good. Readers also prefer stories of charity because they are tired of negative reports, said another article.
In April, an instance similar to Simmons’s experience had also caught the interest of many netizens. Alesha Palmer, an 18-year-old waitress from Texas, received a generous tip after a customer overheard that she needs money for her college education. The teenager began working for a restaurant so that she could support her schooling. When a diner learned about her circumstances, he decided to leave $1,000 for her.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· If you were Simmons, how would you feel after knowing about the tip?
· In your opinion, how can reading articles about kindness affect the way people act toward others?
· How can people be encouraged to do acts of kindness?
· Why is it important to show kindness to other people?