【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. showcase / ˈʃoʊˌkeɪs / (v.) – to display
Example: The computer company showcased its latest products in an event.
2. futuristic / ˌfyu tʃəˈrɪs tɪk / (adj.) – very advanced, especially in terms of technology
Example: Their futuristic office has many advanced gadgets around.
3. herald / ˈhɛr əld / (v.) – to signal the arrival of something
Example: The creation of the internet heralded a new era in communications.
4. collision / kəˈlɪʒ ən / (n.) – a violent crash
Example: The car was totally destroyed in the collision.
5. see-through / ˈsiˌθru / (adj.) – allowing someone to look through to the other side
Example: We were able to enjoy the view from within the restaurant because the walls are completely see-through.
Read the text below.
In celebration of its 100 years in business, German luxury car manufacturer BMW has showcased several concept vehicles in Santa Monica, California.
Among the vehicles presented was the BMW Motorrad Vision, a futuristic motorcycle with features that herald a new era of transportation.
The bike can balance itself through the use of gyroscopes / ˈdʒaɪ rəˌskoʊps /, which means that the rider would not need to manually keep the bike from falling. The bike also has an internal system that helps it avoid crashes, thus making helmets and other protective gear unnecessary for riders.
Along with the motorbike, BMW showcased special glasses that can deliver information about the road to the rider, giving warning about potential collisions right on time. The glasses also provide important information about the bike such as its speed and how much gas it has. For this reason, the Motorrad Vision does not have a traditional control panel with a speedometer and fuel gauge / geɪdʒ /.
Aside from making the motorbike safe from crashing, BMW also incorporated features that allow a very smooth ride. For instance, the bike's tires can absorb impact and automatically adjust themselves to match the road conditions.
In addition to the features mentioned, the bike also comes with self-driving technology. This feature is common among all the concept vehicles BMW exhibited.
Each vehicle also has its unique features. For instance, the company's Rolls-Royce concept car, Eleanor, is fully operated by an A.I. of the same name, and its Mini concept vehicle is almost see-through and can be called to a location by using an app.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Which BMW Motorrad feature would you like to have on all vehicles? Why?
· In your opinion, is it a good idea to have no protective gear while driving the BMW Motorrad Vision? Why or why not?
· What other features would you like to see in vehicles of the future? Discuss.
· Do you think people are becoming too reliant on technology? Why or why not?