Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. errand / ˈɛr ənd / (n.) – a quick trip to a place to do something (e.g. buy goods)
Example: He went out for an errand.
2. destination / ˌdɛs təˈneɪ ʃən / (n.) – a place where a person is supposed to go
Example: The beach is our last destination for the trip.
3. exclusive / ɪkˈsklu sɪv / (adj.) – limited to only a few people; can only be accessed by a certain group
Example: Members are given exclusive use of the facilities.
4. retrieve / rɪˈtriv / (v.) – to get something back
Example: He was glad that he was able to retrieve his lost wallet.
5. breed / brid / (n.) – a certain kind of animalExample: Popular breeds of cats include Persian and Siamese.
Read the text below.
A smart doghouse called Dog Parker now allows pet owners to leave pets in public spaces without worry.
The innovation would allow pet owners to safely “park” or leave their pets for a short period of time while running errands.
Creators of the Dog Parker have set up a network of doghouses in several locations across New York. Pet owners may use any of these doghouses by signing up as a member and paying an annual fee of $25. Once they have signed up, members can find the nearest Dog Parker to their destination and reserve it for their dogs through a mobile application.
Each Dog Parker is equipped with webcams, which would allow owners to check on their pets while they are away. Unlocking the doghouse is done through an exclusive keycard given to registered members. Every pet owner gets a unique keycard to ensure that only its owner can retrieve it from the smart doghouse.
According to Chelsea Brownridge, a co-founder of the company that released the Dog Parker, the innovation was inspired by her own pet dog. She came up with the idea because she wanted to be able to take her dog around the city without fear that it would be stolen.
Cases of “pet-flipping,” or stealing pets and selling them online, have been on the rise in the United States since 2008, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC). The AKC is an organization that keeps a record of the number of dogs within different breeds across the country. The organization recorded over 600 cases of dog theft in 2014.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think that the Dog Parker is necessary? Why or why not?
· In your opinion, what kind of places or establishments should have Dog Parkers? Why?
· Do you think that establishments should be more pet friendly? Why or why not?
· What are examples of pet-friendly places in your country?