【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. team up / ˈtim ʌp / (phrasal v.) – to form a team and work together
Example: Various companies will team up to organize the charitable event.
2. satisfaction / ˌsæt ɪsˈfæk ʃən / (n.) – the state of being happy and content
Example: Good compensation adds to employees’ satisfaction with their jobs.
3. experienced / ɪkˈspɪər i ənst / (adj.) – skilled in a certain field because of several years of experience
Example: The company gives experienced employees very high salaries.
4. perk / pɜrk / (n.) – an additional benefit or privilege
Example: Free lunch is one of the company’s perks.
5. passionate / ˈpæʃ ə nɪt / (adj.) – having strong feelings for and interest in something
Example: She worked hard to be a musician because she is very passionate about music.
Read the text below.
Google ranked number one on Business Insider’s list of the 50 best companies to work for in the United States.
The business news website teamed up with PayScale Inc., a website specializing in gathering information on compensation and salary, and ranked companies from the 2015 Fortune 500 based on six criteria. The Fortune 500 is a list of the 500 highest-earning companies in the United States.
The six criteria include high job satisfaction rates, low work stress levels, employees’ ability to work from home, job meaning or the company’s impact on the world, average salary for experienced staff, and salary appropriateness.
Google emerged at the top of the list because of the several perks it offers to its employees. The giant tech company offers employees several perks that boost their level of satisfaction, including long vacation leaves, free fitness classes, and even free gourmet food. The company also allows its employees to use 20% of their time to work on projects that they are passionate about.
Aside from Google, the list also included 13 other tech companies. Among these is last year’s number one company, Facebook, which dropped to the fifth spot this year. However, Facebook still remains as the company with the highest score in job satisfaction rates, with 97% of its employees reporting high satisfaction with their job.
Aside from tech companies, several health and pharmaceutical companies also made it to the list, with three of them in the top 10. Among these is second-placer Bristol-Myers Squibb, which manufactures drugs for illnesses like cancer and HIV/AIDS.
Employees of pharmaceutical companies reported that they perceive their job as very meaningful. Pharmaceutical employees also receive great health benefits from their companies.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What is the importance of being satisfied with the company you work in? Discuss.
· Is it necessary for an employee to share the same vision as his/her company? Explain.
· What do you think is the most important factor in employee retention?
· What are the possible factors that might make an employee want to leave a company?