【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. in honor of (someone or something) / ɪnˈɒn ərˈəv / (idiom) – in order to recognize and show respect to someone or something
Example: The building was named after the late president in honor of her great leadership.
2. deliver / dɪˈlɪv ər / (v.) – to give birth to a child
Example: She successfully delivered twins after hours of labor.
3. facilitate / fəˈsɪl ɪˌteɪt / (v.) – to help in making something push through easily or smoothly
Example: The head nurse facilitated the delivery of the triplets.
4. discharge / dɪsˈtʃɑrdʒ / (v.) – to be released (from a hospital, an office, a prison, etc.)
Example: They were discharged from the hospital when they fully recovered.
5. voucher / ˈvaʊ tʃər / / (n.) – something that allows a person to buy a product or service for free or with a discount
Example: She was able to buy the dress at a low price because of her discount voucher.
Read the text below.
A woman who gave birth while on a Jetstar Airways flight named her child after the airline.
On April 22, a woman went into unexpected labor during a three-hour flight from Singapore to Yangon, Myanmar. The mother said that she was so pleased with the care she received from the airline that she named him Saw Jet Star.
He was named Saw, in honor of Saw Ler Htu, the airline’s customer service manager, and Jet, in honor of Jetstar Airways. Coincidentally, Star is the child’s family name. The 2.9kg baby boy was successfully delivered just before the plane landed in its destination.
Three doctors who happened to be on the plane facilitated the safe delivery of the child. The airline crew also assisted in the childbirth. The baby boy was welcomed into the world by the other passengers with a round of applause. The mother and her child were later taken to a hospital, and both were discharged soon after being found healthy.
Saw Jet Star is the first child to ever be born on a Jetstar flight. Jetstar Airways will be giving the child baby supplies worth SGD 1,000 or around USD 745. Meanwhile, the doctors who facilitated his birth were given free flight vouchers.
Childbirth in midflight exposes mothers and their infants to health risks, so airlines have specific provisions for pregnant women traveling on a plane. Rules vary across airlines, but generally, restrictions are given to women in the last stage of pregnancy—their 27th to the 40th week.
Jetstar Airways allows women who are 40 weeks pregnant in flights that take less than three hours, provided that they have written consent from their doctor or midwife.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you think that women in the final stages of their pregnancy should be allowed to travel? Why or why not?
· What are possible ways to ensure that pregnant women are safe while traveling?
· What is your opinion about parents giving their children unusual names?
· What do you think are the possible effects of having an unusual name? Discuss.