【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. deluxe / dəˈlʌks / [duh-LUHKS] (adj.) – elegant and of high quality
Example: They stayed in a deluxe hotel room for three days.
2. free-flowing / ˈfriˈfloʊ ɪŋ / [FREE FLOH-ing] (adj.) – huge amounts of something, usually a beverage
Example: We enjoyed free-flowing drinks in the party last night.
3. upbeat / ˈʌpˌbit / (adj.) – cheerful and energetic
Example: The party was livelier with the upbeat music playing in the background.
4. scenic / ˈsi nɪk / (adj.) – beautiful, specifically used to describe views of nature
Example: She misses the scenic countryside.
5. complimentary / ˌkɒm pləˈmɛn tə ri / (adj.) – given away for free
Example: The hotel offers complimentary towels and toiletries to guests.
Read the text below.
Uber has hosted a one-time yacht event in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
The international transportation company hosted a deluxe yacht party called UberYACHT on April 30. The party was organized in partnership with travel company Alpha Tours and Dubai’s Nikki Beach Restaurant and Beach Club. The UberYACHT service was offered for roughly $82 per person. The attendees gained access to the event through reservations using the Uber app, and an individual can reserve for groups with a maximum of four persons.
Only a limited number of Uber users were able to join the event due to the low capacity of the yacht. Also, the event was open only to Uber users aged 21 and above. Those who were fortunate enough to be admitted enjoyed free-flowing drinks as they partied to upbeat music from Nikki Beach DJs.
Attendees were toured around Dubai’s seas, where they enjoyed scenic views of the country’s beaches. They were also given complimentary Uber car rides to and from the pier where the yacht was docked before and after the event. The UberYACHT event lasted for four hours.
The Dubai UberYACHT event is not a first for the transportation company. Uber previously held a similar event in February 2015 in celebration of Valentine’s Day. The previous UberYACHT was held in Cape Town, South Africa, and lucky Uber users were given free admission. The party featured two famous DJs, Martin Garrix and Oliver Heldens, as well as some famous celebrities, bloggers, and some prominent people from the music industry.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Would you avail of the UberYACHT if it were offered in your country? Why or why not?
· In what other form of transportation can Uber hold a similar event? Discuss.
· Do you think hosting events is a great way to market a company? Why or why not?
· What kind of events do companies usually host?