【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. release / rɪˈlis / (v.) – to make something available to consumers
Example: The new smartphone will be released next year.
2. up-to-date / ˈʌp təˈdeɪt / (adj.) – latest or current
Example: The website delivers up-to-date information about the stock market.
3. keep tabs on / kip tæbs ɒn/ (idiom) – to watch something carefully
Example: He keeps tabs on the news regularly.
4. alert / əˈlɜrt / (v.) – to warn
Example: The dark and heavy clouds alerted the city of the impending storm.
5. precision / prɪˈsɪʒ ən / (n.) – the state of being exact
Example: The painter made a portrait of her with great precision.
Read the text below.
Japanese technology company Casio [KA-shi-yoh] released a digital clock that can connect to an iPhone via Bluetooth.
The DWS-200J clock was commercially released on November 30, 2016 and sold at 17,500 yen per unit. So far, it is the only clock in the world capable of Bluetooth connection. The DWS-200J clock provides its owners with the most up-to-date weather information from the Japan Weather Association. The data is obtained from an iPhone through the CASIO CLOCK app.
The DWS-200J presents weather information digitally in both an hourly and weekly format. It can be programmed to notify its owners about the weather every three hours. The clock also provides specific data such as temperature and humidity. In addition, it can simultaneously keep tabs on weather conditions in up to four different locations in Japan.
Owners can also program the clock to alert them about different situations or reminders using seven different types of voice notifications. These notifications include "time to take your medicine," "time to go out," and even "take care and don't catch a cold" on chilly days.
The clock runs on two alkali / ˈæl kəˌlaɪ / dry cells, which are expected to have a battery life of approximately one year.
The DWS-200J is part of Casio’s Wave Ceptor series, a line of clocks and watches that uses radio signals to tell time with great precision. Unlike normal time-telling devices, these devices can automatically adjust their time displays based on information they get through a built-in antenna. Using this technology, clocks remain accurate without having to be constantly adjusted.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· If you owned a DWS-200J clock, what kind of voice notifications would you like to hear from it? Enumerate.
· Do you think that a smartphone with a weather alert app makes the DWS-200J clock obsolete? Defend your answer.
· What are the advantages of having a device that can tell time accurately?
· Aside from weather forecasts, what other information would you like to receive from the clock?