【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. shut down / ʃʌt daʊn / (phrasal v.) – to stop the operation of something
Example: The weather company shut down its old satellite and replaced it with a new one.
2. mountainous / ˈmaʊn tn əs / (adj.) – having a lot of mountains
Example: The region has few residents because it is very mountainous.
3. cease / sis / (v.) – to stop or end
Example: The car ceased to work after the accident.
4. relatively / ˈrɛl ə tɪv li / (adv.) – in comparison with something else
Example: This model is expensive, but compared to similar models from other brands, it is relatively cheap.
5. affordable / əˈfɔr də bəl / (adj.) – not expensive
Example: I need an affordable laptop that is within my budget.
Read the text below.
Norway’s radios may all turn digital before the year ends.
The Norwegian / nɔrˈwi dʒən / government is planning to switch off all FM transmitters in the country and turn to digital audio broadcasting (DAB) by the end of the year. The first region to shut down FM transmitters is Nordland, which is in the northern part of the country. Other regions are expected to follow suit within the year.
Radio stations commonly use FM transmitters to broadcast their programs. However, stations are now also transmitting signals through DAB, which can only be detected by digital radios.
The government said that transmitting FM signals across the country’s mountainous regions is more expensive than sending digital signals. Norway hopes to save over $23 million by implementing the change.
Moreover, Norway authorities stated that DAB will be more beneficial, especially when there are calamities, as it provides a more stable signal, offers more channels, and has better sound quality.
Despite its advantages, most Norwegians did not react positively to the news. Critics said that at least two million car radios will stop working due to the change. Radios used in most homes and fishermen’s boats will also cease to work. In addition, the switch to digital will pose a danger during the winter season because people rely heavily on FM radios for weather news reports.
Many are unwilling to replace their old radios because it will cost them a lot of money. However, citizens may choose to replace their old radios with relatively affordable digital radios.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· Do you agree with the change that the Norwegian government plans to do? Why or why not?
· How do you think can the government convince the people to turn to digital radio?
· In your opinion, is it possible for old and new technology to exist at the same time? Why or why not?
· Among the technology that we still have now, which do you think should be replaced by a new innovation? Discuss.