【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. stabilizer / ˈsteɪ bəˌlaɪ zər / (n.) – a device that is used to keep something steady
Example: Parents installed stabilizers in their son’s bike to prevent him from falling.
2. handheld / ˈhændˌhɛld / (adj.) – small enough to be held by the hand
Example: The giant technology company released its first handheld computer.
3. vlogger / vlɔgər / (n.) – a person who has a video blog
Example: The vlogger just posted a video about her trip to Italy.
4. emergence / ɪˈmɜr dʒəns / (n.) – the act of appearing or becoming known
Example: The emergence of new actors was a threat to older ones.
5. revolutionize / ˌrɛv əˈlu ʃəˌnaɪz / (v.) – to cause a great change in something
Example: The Internet revolutionized the way people make friends.
Read the text below.
A Chinese technology company has created a device that allows capturing quality pictures and videos even while in motion.
DJI, an innovator in camera technology, has released the Osmo Mobile, a high-tech camera stabilizer for smartphones. Priced at $299, the handheld device is designed to help users shoot sharp images and videos on the go.
The device features an adjustable mount that can hold smartphones of different sizes. Phones compatible with the device include the latest iPhone models, the Samsung Galaxy S7, and some smartphone models from Huawei [WAH-way].
The Osmo Mobile can be used with the DJI Go mobile app. Once the device is connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth, the app will allow users to customize their camera’s settings to reach the desired photo or video quality through buttons on the stabilizer.
The device also supports live-streaming on YouTube and Weibo using the DJI Go app, making it an ideal device for vloggers. However, the company also wants mainstream consumers to take advantage of the features of the gadget, as it will be useful for capturing holiday moments and outdoor activities.
The emergence of advanced photography devices has revolutionized the way people take photos and videos. With the help of smartphone manufacturers, nonprofessional photographers now have access to high-definition cameras, which gives them opportunities to experience capturing images of superior quality.
Thus, smartphone photography is becoming more than a hobby. In 2015, leading technology giant Google has started Google Local Guide. The company rewards smartphone photographers for taking pictures and making reviews of places like restaurants and museums and for sharing them through Google Maps.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· In what situations would the DJI Osmo Mobile be useful? Give examples.
· What would you like to add to the device’s features? Discuss.
· What is the importance of taking photos and videos?
· What do you think is the future of photography and videography?