【Unlocking Word Meanings】
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
1. geometric / ˌdʒi əˈmɛ trɪk / (adj.) – having patterns made of different shapes
Example: The walls in our office are painted with geometric designs.
2. condiment / ˈkɒn də mənt / (n.) – an ingredient that gives flavor to food
Example: Salt, soy sauce, and ketchup are examples of condiments.
3. generate buzz / ˈdʒɛn əˌreɪt bʌz / (idiom) – to receive a lot of public attention
Example: The brand’s new product generated a lot of buzz.
4. avenue / ˈæv əˌnyu / (n.) – a means of achieving a goal
Example: The forum will serve as an avenue to learn how to make food art.
5. showcase / ˈʃoʊˌkeɪs / (v.) – to display one’s special abilities or qualities
Example: Students will showcase their talents in the upcoming recital.
Read the text below.
Mosaic / moʊˈzeɪ ɪk / sushi has become the latest trend in food art.
The trend is inspired by mosaic, or the art of forming patterns by arranging colorful pieces of materials like stone or glass. Mosaic sushi features assorted ingredients assembled into geometric designs. It is made by layering blocks of vinegar-soaked rice decorated with shredded eggs, raw salmon, and Sakura denbu – a condiment made of fish. These blocks are placed inside a wooden box and topped with sheets of nori, or dried seaweed, so that another layer of blocks may be added on top.
Creating mosaics using sushi has gained popularity worldwide. In fact, in September 2016, a football club in Norway made a 56.5-square-meter mosaic sushi in commemoration of its 100th anniversary. The mosaic made its mark as the world’s largest mosaic sushi, breaking Japan’s previous record of 41.99 square meters.
Meanwhile, food innovators are also exploring other forms of sushi art aside from mosaic sushi. Recently, sushi donuts have generated a lot of buzz in social networking sites. The food art is made with donut-shaped rice garnished with ingredients such as sesame seeds, guacamole / gwɑ kəˈmoʊ li /, red pepper, tomato, and wasabi.
The trend was started by an Instagram user from Australia named Sam. Sam uses the social networking site as an avenue to showcase her creativity in coming up with new food innovations. In addition to the sushi donuts, she has also posted images of sushi burgers and sushi pizza on her Instagram. Her Instagram account has more than 240,000 followers to date.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
· What do you think makes the mosaic sushi popular?
· Among the kinds of food art mentioned above, which appeals to you the most? Why?
· What kind of food art would you like to try? Why?
· Aside from food, what else can be turned into art? Discuss.